Saturday, October 8, 2011

Unsalted

I went on a shopping run this past Thursday. It was beautiful and the 20-minute walk felt like a breeze. I bought a whole bunch of things. Like Ramen and granola bars and hot chocolate… pretty much the typical college kid food.

I also bought some Saltines, which I was extremely excited about.

If I don’t feel well, those are what I eat. I also eat them when I’m feeling fine. I’ll eat them with soup, as a snack, with cheese. The possibilities are endless. But, truth is, I really love eating them on their own.

I love the taste of Saltines, mostly because I love salt.

I know it’s not good to eat excessive amounts of salt, I don’t think I do, but for some reason salt is irresistible.

Later that night I was eating Ramen (since my night class had eliminated my dinner time) and I pulled out some Saltines to eat along with it.

After I popped the first one in my mouth I realized immediately that something was missing.

Where is the salt? These are Saltines. Why isn’t there salt on them?

I looked at the box, and there in a print 1/12 the size of the brand name was the word Unsalted.

You have got to be kidding me. I didn’t even know they did that. It looks exactly like the normal Saltine box that my family had in the pantry at home, but for some reason that one little word escaped my attention.

What are Saltines without the world salt in them? I’m pretty sure Ines don’t taste anything like the desirable cracker I love.

I can tell you right now, they don’t.

Now the Saltine box is now a stranger in the midst of a group of friends.

It’s been alienated from the rest of my food because I’m having a hard time understanding it and trying to accept it for what it is.

Crackers without salt.

Guess I’ll just have to always eat them with something else.

But isn’t that how it normally works?

When something is Unsalted, it gets paired with something else that makes it taste better.

This can applied in certain areas, like faith. Without God, a person is Unsalted, but when God is added into a person’s life the result is amazing…

But this is really just turning into a sorry excuse for a cracker.

No comments:

Post a Comment