Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My 3x5 Memory

I’ve taken to carrying a tiny notebook around with me. It is about the size of a 3x5 notecard, and it’s perfect.

I can record every thought I might have at any given moment. After all, I need a way to keep track of my stories and observations so that I can blog every day.

The notebook often gets pulled out during class, or as I’m about to fall asleep. If I don’t write something down I forget it—which is unfortunate, but that’s just how it works.

I don’t write dates in my notebook. The day I write something down doesn’t matter as long as it’s there and I can find it. Most of the things I jot down I don’t blog about until days later. Sometimes I have to wait to wait for a certain mood so that I can write about a certain thing.

It’s hard to explain how I work when it comes to writing.

The most important thing about the notebook is its availability, so that it's always there when I need it.

Because, no matter how extensive the human brain may be, my notebook seems to have the better memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment