Friday, March 9, 2012

Post-Book Depression

I finished two books yesterday.  No, I did not read two books yesterday.  I merely finished them, which left me feeling quite deflated.

For those of you that love reading, I’m sure you’ve felt the same.  The book wraps up, the characters are done moving forward, the story is complete and you’re left with… a closed book and nothing else to look forward to. 

I’ve taken to calling this post-book depression.  A lot of people cure this problem by simply starting up another book afterward, but they will always have the same results.  (Unless you’re relieved to finish a book.  In this case I’m just talking about the books that I really enjoy reading and find myself immersed in.) 

Yesterday I finished Mockingjay, the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy, so my depression was tripled when that ended.  When I read a series of books the characters practically become real and I feel like I’m acquainted with them by the time I reach the end.  Whether or not they actually die in the book, they still “die” when the book finishes. 

I also finished Girl With A Pearl Earring, which I had to read for my UCOR class.  It was more suspenseful that I thought it would be and I was sorry that it ended.  I would definitely recommend it to people who like historical fiction and it’s one that deserves a second read.

As soon as I finished it I set it down and just lay on my bed, mulling everything over. 

I couldn’t believe it was done.

I could believe I had read all of The Hunger Games books and had no more to read. 

All I felt was… emptiness.  (Of course, I’m exaggerating a bit because I’m absolutely fine now.)

Still, no one likes to see a good book end.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I just finished Mockingjay yesterday as well and now I'm in a total slump. Mine seem to last ages though. I remember when one of my favourite tv characters suddenly got killed off, I was in a funk for about a week. This is exactly how I feel now :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call it 'post book depression' too... that's how I came upon your page. There should be something to help us overcome this thing.

    ReplyDelete