Thursday, October 13, 2011

Th(at) Problem

Where is my book at?

Where is the park at?

Where are you at?

Am I starting to sound unintelligent yet? I feel unintelligent. I always write my blog in word first and currently all of the endings of those questions are underlined in green, signaling that the grammar is incorrect.

That’s because it is incorrect.

No one writes like that because the computers catch it, and people fix it with a simple right click.

But fixing the way people talk isn’t nearly as easy, and suddenly it seems like it’s become ok to add “at” to the end of every question involving the location of something or someone.

When someone asks a question and inserts an “at”, every nerve in my brain and body gets a sensation equal to hearing someone drag their nails across a chalkboard.

It’s one of my biggest pet peeves.

People, you don’t need the word “at” at the end of those questions. Other people might not notice, but I sure do. I don’t mean to be a Grammar Nazi, but this is one of the few grammatical errors that drive me crazy.

Some people might be thinking, why does she even care? Where is her brain at? Geez, it’s just a two-letter word that’s not that big of a deal!

I just want to let you know the three questions above sound perfectly fine without the “at”, not to mention they sound slightly more intelligent.

Where is my book?

Where is the park?

Where are you?

Who in the world first started adding “at” to the end of questions?

I’d be happy to send them back to the first grade.

But then again I don’t know if that would do much; who knows what they teach kids in schools these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment