Monday, October 10, 2011

The Devil in the Close-Up Mirror

Mondays have been deemed “No Makeup Monday” on my floor, which I love. I try to avoid makeup anyway, but there is something special about promoting natural beauty with a group of girls I love.

I had planned on looking cute today but when I woke up I remembered that it was Monday.

For most people it makes sense to look super cute when you aren’t wearing makeup, so that you don’t look completely out of it. But for me, it means seats and a sweater. Because I just don’t care. And truth is, I’m way more comfortable that way.

Plus on Mondays I like taking a midday nap, and sweats and a sweater are very convenient for that activity.

The only thing that gets me feeling a bit insecure about my face or apparel is a mirror.

Not just any mirror.

This one has the capability to zoom my face to 8x its normal size, so that I can see every blemish and crevice upon my face.

Ew.

The pores that were once insignificant became craters on my face, and the small hairs that escape from my eyebrows became jagged wires.

It was hard for me to look at myself without thinking of all the ways I could “fix” everything that I saw.

It was as if I had the Devil on my left should and the Angel on my right, just like it happens in the movies.

The Devil was the first to speak. You are insignificant, you aren’t perfect or beautiful or special, and you’ll never be. See all of those mistakes on your face? How will anyone ever love you if you look like that?

But the Angel stepped in too and cut the Devil off. Stop, that’s enough. Elisabeth, we’ve been through this before don’t you remember? There is so much more to you than what you see.

It’s hard for a girl to swallow insecure thoughts and remember that there is a God who loves her and finds her beautiful no matter what.

There are many verses in the Bible about beauty, but 1 Samuel 16:7 is one of my favorites.

"The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (NLV)

That’s what I’m going to focus on today.

And tomorrow.

And every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment