Thursday, October 20, 2011

Sweet Dreams


If I go to bed at a reasonable hour, the sun rises in New York while I’m asleep.

The East coast greets the day, and the West coast says goodnight.  Granted, Hawaii and Alaska are even further west than the coast, but Seattle has some of the last people to say goodnight on the mainland.     

And now I’m one of them.

When I was in Colorado I was always stuck in the middle.  Someone was always sleeping or always awake when I went to bed.

Now, by the time I settle in, the rest of the US is already tucked away and dreaming.

I think this plays a huge part in coastal personalities.  In general it seems like the people on the East coast are more up tight—it’s because they have to start off the day on a good note. They have to get it right for the rest of us. 

On the West coast, throughout Washington, Oregon, and California, the day is already started and determined by various events.  All we have to do is close the door, which makes us more easy-going.  As long as we sleep well, we’re alright. 

The only thing we have to do is say sweet dreams just as New York is about to wake up and stretch its arms.  

No comments:

Post a Comment