Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Struggle Bus


More than a year ago I was in Pennsylvania previewing Grove City College.  It was my second choice at the time, SPU was my first, but I was fairly interested since I would be only an hour and a half from my grandparents if I needed somewhere to stay during the weekend. 

I was visiting with my Dad and when we stopped by the admissions office for some information there was hot chocolate available for the taking.  I helped myself to some immediately since it was rather chilly and rainy. 

After we left and begin to walk around campus I tripped slightly and spilled some hot chocolate on my hand.  A few steps later I did the same thing again.

“Man, I’m riding the struggle bus today.”

My Dad looked over me and said, “What in the world are you talking about?”

“I’m riding the struggle bus, Dad.  As in I’m struggling today and riding the struggle bus, you know?”

“No.”  He laughed.  “I’ve never heard of that saying in my entire life.”

Apparently no one at SPU has either.

Whenever I say it everyone asks for me to repeat it, since they have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about. 

I guess I assumed it was something that everyone knew.

By the end of the year everyone will know what I'm talking about because I’m going to continue to say it no matter how ridiculous it may sound.

For now, it’ll just have to be my signature thing here, and maybe someday it will catch on.




No comments:

Post a Comment