Monday, October 31, 2011

The Importance of Scars


At some point in my life I will have a mid-life crisis.  At least that’s what I’ve heard.  It happens to everyone at some point.

Right now I have more of a “mid-quarter” crisis.  I’ve hit a funny spot in my college career where I’m always tired, less motivated than before, and ready to take a vacation.  Not to mention everyone seems to be asking, am I really doing what I’m supposed to be doing, and am I really meant to be here

There’s no doubt I still want to write, I’m just waiting to get all of my freshman classes out of the way so I can take something that teaches me what I need to learn.  Writing a blog is what keeps my creativity flowing—it’s the true practice I get.  At this point I’m doing a better job preparing myself than my classes are. 

(Disclaimer:  I promise I’m learning something.  Just not about what I’m most passionate about.) 

Lately I’ve been talking to various friends who are worried about their future.  And I am more than willing to hear them out.  If any of my friends need a good cry they can come to me, because I’ve been there many times before. 

“Tears are the safety valve of the heart when too much pressure is laid on it.”
~Albert Smith

There were three of us in my room last night, talking about our fears, hearing each other out, and allowing tears come every once in a while. 

But, being as distracted as I am, I often stray from the conversation at hand.  I asked one of my friends where she got a scar and before I knew it all of us were comparing scars and sharing stories.

You learn some crazy things about people when you talk about scars.  And we only covered the ones on the outside.  It really got me thinking about how many scars people must hold on the inside that I don’t even see, and I’ll never know about them unless they tell me.

And then I kept thinking.  Regardless of where we came from, we find common ground in the things that hurt most.  No matter how I feel about my classes, the weather, or the cafeteria food, the people here will influence me in more ways than I can currently imagine.     

Right now I have all my closest friends in one spot and, through learning more about them, I get the opportunity to learn more about myself.    


No comments:

Post a Comment