Friday, December 2, 2011

Spotting it First


When I was a kid, it was always a huge competition to see who could see the control tower first on the way to the airport.  Normally my brother Robert would spot it first, and every once in a while the rest of us would get it.   

I think he knew where to look.  He had the lines of the horizon memorized and he knew exactly where the control tower would first start to appear. 

Today I went with four girls from my floor to do Secret Santa shopping downtown.  When I saw the space needle I said, “I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of seeing the space needle.  It never ceases to capture my attention.” 

My friend Sarah nodded and smiled.

Then I said, “I bet it was one of those things you had a competition to see who could see it first on the way to the city.  You know, when you were a kid.”

She looked at me.  “Oh, it definitely was.”

Now I feel like I’m the kid trying to point it out every time.

I never want to grow out of it.      

No comments:

Post a Comment