Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Best Punch Lines


I’m trying to get used to babysitting again.  I didn’t interact with kids at all for more than two months, and I suddenly have my normal babysitting job back.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore the boys I babysit, but I was exhausted after I watched them the other night.  (Being tired after I babysit is normal, but I was far beyond tired.)  Apparently babysitting is much like a playing a sport.  If you don’t stay in shape, you’ll be out of breath.  So I was a little overwhelmed the first time I babysat after coming back from Seattle. 

This is because I forgot rule number one about babysitting.

     1.  Let them entertain themselves. 

I tried too hard to find games for them to play, or encourage them to do a certain activity.  To be honest, letting them do their own thing is much more convenient. 

That was the approach I took tonight—I was much happier, and my night passed by more smoothly.  

And I also found myself laughing more.  Since they did their own thing, they were more themselves.  There were several things they said that I feel compelled to share. 

The younger boy is 4.  He was struggling a little with manners at the dinner table so I asked him, “Where are your manners silly boy?” 

He looked at me, tilted his head and smiled, then said, “At church.”

I had to laugh!  I couldn’t lecture him for that response.  Well played, kiddo. 

Later I was singing you better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout I’m telling you why, Santa Claus is coming to town!  Both of them were watching me and giggling.

Then the 6 year old said, “He sees you when you’re sleeping, he knows when you’re awake, and he knows when you talk about bottoms.”  (“Bottoms” happens to be one of the cutting-edge potty words in that household.)

I found myself laughing all over again. 

I’m telling you, the things kids say are absolutely outrageous.

They deliver the best punch lines. 

1 comment: