Monday, November 7, 2011

Independence is Tiring


This past Saturday was “SPU Mom’s Day”.

My Mom was in Colorado.  I missed her like crazy. 

When I crossed paths with most of my friends, their Mom was right by their side.  However, I wasn’t the only student without one present—my friends from Colorado were lacking theirs as well.  The trek was simply too hard to make on a short weekend.  

I was one of the lucky ones that got “adopted”.

I have become close friends with Taylor, a girl on my floor, and her mom graciously took me under her wing for the Saturday.  Part of me felt like I was intruding, but I tried to keep in mind that they most likely wouldn’t have invited me if they didn’t want me to come along. 

The day turned out to be a tremendous blessing.  We took Taylor’s mom (who I called Mama Cline all day) to Pike Place, the troll, Kerry Park, Bhy Kracke Park, and gasworks.  All three of us were taking photos and documenting the day.  And if you’re wondering… Bhy Kracke Park is an actual place. 

It was comforting to know that someone else was keeping tabs on me for the day, checking to make sure I was still there and that I didn’t get lost.  Truth is, it’s pretty hard for me to watch out for myself.  At least it takes way more energy.

When my parents and I talked after the first crazy weekend of school before they left to go back to Colorado, they asked how I liked everything. 

I told them this:

Independence is tiring. 

Which is why having a day with Taylor and her mom allowed me to lay back and relax, even if it was for a short amount of time. 

It’s nice to be able to plan out a day on my own, and work according to my schedule and no one else’s, but occasionally I’m extremely content to go with the flow and enjoy the simplistic moments of life that make me happiest. 

I missed my Mom a lot, but after this past Saturday, I appreciate what she did (and still does) even more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment