Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Counting Airplanes

I got this crazy idea stuck in my head last week.  It was called get up at 6:45 in the morning and walk to the park to watch the sunrise.

I finally followed through with my idea this morning except it got changed to get up at 6:45 in the morning, walk out to the 6th floor balcony, and watch the sunrise.  My laziness got the better of me and I realized I would probably have a better view from the balcony anyway.

I looked up the time of the sunrise last night and set my alarm accordingly.  It was supposed to happen at 7:06 and I was out on the balcony all bundled up 15 minutes before that.  There was no way I was going to miss it. 

There were more clouds than I expected, which caused the sun to show much later than I thought it would.  I ended up counting airplanes as I waited.  I needed something to pass the time and I was still too tired to read the Bible I had brought out with me.  I chose something simple that required no energy.  It was as if I was counting sheep to fall asleep, but I was counting airplanes and waiting for the sun to rise.  There must have been at least 20 or so, maybe more.

I kept watching them pass and circle through the sky.  And occasionally a crow would fly by, so close I could hear the beating of its wings.  I used to be a little superstitious about those birds, but now I see them all the time so it doesn’t faze me anymore. 

As I kept sitting there I began to wonder if I had missed it.  It was light enough out to feel like the sun had already come up.  What if I had missed it and I was just sitting out there waiting for nothing?  I got to thinking that my blog post for the day might end up being titled “Epic Fail”. 

But, sure enough the sun eventually peeked its head from behind the clouds that had veiled the horizon, and the clouds began to get a fluffy-pink-cotton-candy look.  The sky brightened and smiled.    

Part of me expected a Colorado sunrise.  I think I’m still coming to terms with the fact that I’m in Seattle

But now that I’ve greeted the sun, a part of me is more willing to call this place home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment