Friday, January 6, 2012

Two Worlds

I’m back in Seattle (I have been for a few days now) and I haven’t had much to write about.  Funny thing is, I’m a firm believer in making myself sit down and write everyday because I need to keep the creative juices flowing.

But lately I haven’t been able to write a word, and I haven’t felt like writing a word.  And I’m not sure if it’s writers block or what it’s been.

Mostly I think I’ve been pondering the difference between the two worlds I’ve come to know—how easily they ebb and flow, begin, end, and then pick right back up where I left them.  Except I know that when I’m gone my family is changing and when I’m not at school the skies in Seattle will continue to shift and the rain will still fall.  (However, if there’s anything I hate missing, it’s a sunny day in Seattle.) 

These days I’ve been back have consisted of me getting myself together, setting into class, and organizing the notebooks and deciding what time I will set aside for blogging, studying, creativeness, socializing, sleeping, eating… you name it. 

Today it’s raining again and I’m sitting where I always do when I write, looking out the window at the world of gray and green, watching people walk around with their umbrellas. 

I’ve found that I’m comfortable transferring between the two worlds.  I love them equally and differently.  I do not dread them or despise the change.  Rather I embrace it.

This quarter will be interesting. I’m taking a psychology class, a UCOR class (required for freshman), and human biology.  Two of these can be considered science classes, and I swore off science the end of my junior year in high school.  Ironically, it now dominates my schedule. 

But I have extremely charismatic and passionate professors.  So far the first two days of classes have been interesting and I’ve paid attention.  The only thing I doodled was a star (an amazing feat, I must say).    

Which leads me to one of my biggest fears:  what if I actually like science?

No comments:

Post a Comment