Thursday, March 8, 2012

Like I Do About You

Date nights are always something that I look forward to, and last night was no exception.  I tried on various outfits, pulled my hair up then took it down and pulled it up again.  I couldn’t make up my mind and I wanted to look nice even though I knew Will would think I looked great no matter what.

Girls face so many dilemmas.  Every step of getting ready for a date involves a choice.  Which outfit?  Which shoes?  How to I want to do my hair?  What music should I listen to while I curl my hair?  How do I want to do my makeup? What purse do I want to take?  Should I take a coat or a sweater? 

I can finally breathe when I’m ready and then all I have to do is wait.

Will came to get me from my room a few minutes early this time, which I didn’t mind at all.  A few minutes early is way better than a few late.  Late is never good, especially when you only live 30 seconds from each other. 

I love dates with Will because he never tells me where we are going—it’s always a secret and I don’t know until we walk through the door (or he asks me to help him find it, which has happened.) 

Last night we returned to his hometown, Bellevue.  It’s 25 minutes or so away from school and I have been there several times before.  It’s a wonderful city and I enjoy every time we visit it.

Last night he picked Wild Ginger, a restaurant with absolutely amazing Asian cuisine.  I haven’t eaten duck since last May when I graduated high school, and this duck was probably ten times better.  Dates are normally great for conversation, but once we had food in front of us we were dead silent until all of it was gone.  I can proudly say our plates were completely clean.  Will said, “That was about a hundred times, probably more than that, better than Gwinn.”

However, before we received our food, we talked plenty.  I asked him to tell me a story and he told me several about pranks he pulled when he was a kid, and when he was in high school.  One of the stories started, “Well, my friends and I kinda liked blowing things up.” 

Not surprising for a boy, not at all…. 

I tried telling a few of my own, but I guess I wasn’t nearly as troublesome.  I was more mischievous when I was a younger, but those were the stories I forget to tell.  (I’ve locked my brother in the dog kennel, in the basement storage room, and left him there.)  I was quite entertained listening to all of his though.

After the plates were cleared we shared a bowl of mango sorbet (so good!).  I was sorry to leave, since I knew I would have to face cafeteria food again the next day.

On the way back to the car we stopped to warm up by a giant outdoor fireplace.  The sky was clear and beautiful, reminding me of how clear it gets in Colorado.  Suddenly I wanted it to be summer more than anything but I suppose it will have to wait for now. 

It took us a few times to figure out which level Will had parked on in the parking garage, so that was fun since I’m not allowed to ride the elevator.  Normally I’m the one that remembers for him but I had determinedly marched in the wrong direction at the beginning of the night and once Will called me back to walk the other way I forgot to check what level we were on. 

We did find the car, eventually.  (After walking onto 2 wrong levels.) 

I couldn’t have asked for a better date night.  I’ve of course edited out a few of the mushy and romantic details, since I like keeping them to myself and smiling about them later.  I allowed myself to dance crazily in the car on the way back to school, causing Will to laugh a lot, and we sang a bunch of our favorite country songs.

I never found anything that makes me feel like I do about you…

No comments:

Post a Comment